Re: Standalone Superscript Alef (Item 8)

Salaam Mohammed,

>   We have here two options:
>      1. Propose a new character for SMALL ALEF and
> use the Superscript Alef on
>          an Alef Maksura for example as a
> superscript alef and where the HIGH
>          SMALL ALEF is needed (analogous to WAW and
> DAMMA).
>      2. Forget about Superscript Alef and propose
> the characters
>           SMALL ALEF ISOLATED and
>           SMALL ALEF MEDIAL (or any other
> appropriate names)

After reading your response I can now clearly
understand the cause of the communication gap between
us. Your proposal does not take into account the
concept of graphemes vs. allographs. For that reason
while we are proposing that a single code point for
superscript/dagger/small alef is appropriate for all
instances of superscript/dagger/small alef because
there is really only one superscript/dagger/small alef
"grapheme", you are proposing two codes for
superscript/dagger/small alef because of there are two
superscript/dagger/small alef "allographs". This is
more of a philosophical problem between us in regards
to encoding theory which is not easily solvable within
one mailing list thread. You also have some
justification for your proposal by saying that what
you are proposing is consistent with the rest of the
Unicode Arabic block. I agree with you here, yes it
may be consistent with the rest of the Unicode Arabic
block, but the Unicode Arabic block is not based on a
purely graphemic encoding scheme either. "The fact
that the code is bad is no excuse to make it worse."

>   As you can notice there is no SMALL HIGH WAW
> because the damma looks
>   exactly like a SMALL HIGH WAW, so there is no need
> for another character
>   for SMALL HIGH WAW and instead damma is used.
>   They share the same look  property and even
> pronouncation but their name is
>   different because one is used as a vowel, and the
> other to denote a missing
>   WAW.

The above also points to a misunderstanding of
graphemes vs. allographs. If you are going to use two
seperate codepoints to encode superscript/dagger/small
alef, one for its usage on top of alef maksura and
another for its usage in words like haadha, dhaalika
and bura'aa'u, I would tell you that you should use
the same codepoint in haadha, dhaalika and bura'aa'u.
Do not use a different codepoint for bura'aa'u just
because it appears lower than the one used in haadha
and dhaalika. The difference between dhaalika and
bura'aa'u is only at the allograph level, it is really
the same grapheme. Otherwise you make an existing
problem even worse.

So in conclusion I would like to tell you that we will
not endorse a proposal to add a new additional
superscript/dagger/small alef codepoint in a joint
proposal. If you wish to propose this please do it in
a seperate individual proposal.

Kind Regards,
Mete