Re: Server Move Complete

On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 12:14:27AM +0300, Munzir Taha wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 January 2004 13:20, Mohammed Elzubeir wrote:
> > Salam,
>
> > Aside from it being a nice 1u server, arabeyes.org now reverse-resolves.
> > This is a huge advantage to those mail servers that used to reject our mail
> > because of this (it's a way to filter out spammers). Our new IP address
> > resolves back to arabeyes.org and so we are now fully legit.
>
> Mabrook! Just out of curiosity and the desire to learn something new, Why
> didn't your old IP address resolve back to arabeyes.org. An ANSWER section
> added should have nothing to do with the server, no? I mean why couldn't you
> solve that problem until you relocate?!

Because we ran on a dynamic IP. Although it almost never changed, it
remained to be dynamic. Even when we had a static IP (briefly when we
were in the UK), we didn't have it reverse-resolve because the IP block
owner has to input it in their DNS. The block owner (normally the ISP)
charges for this (and we were temporarily there). So, that never
happened.

This time, the ISP is super friendly so they not only are co-locating
for us for free, but also added the entry for us and gave us the static
IP.

And that, my friend, is the long story of Arabeyes' IP ;)

Regards
| Unix the 'right' way |  http://elzubeir.fakkir.net/ |