Re: Quran Applications: getting it certified

--- ahmad khalifa <ahmadkhalifa at hotmail dot com> wrote:
> >  2. A completed release of the Quran application so that we
> >     can start the long and arduous process to get it certified
> >     (we have 2 possible avenues to proceed with now).
>
> well, i asked a friend whose mother works at a school "Tabe3a" to
> AlAzhar AlShareef... in Egypt the highest Islamic Authority is AlAzhar
> AlShareef.. she said you just take it to "Dar El Efta" to get certified..
> i'd happily do that, if i can put it on CD, which i beleive is not ready
> yet...

Great, although M.Yousif had noted that he wasn't able to get anything
accomplished there - another try won't harm anyone.  Now we just need
a release to package and burn onto a CD to get the ball(s) rolling.

> >  4. Please start a thread on 'developer' to talk about how the
> >     data integrity will be insured (md5sum, gpg, etc) so that
> >     the Quran application will ONLY work with authentic data
> >     given all of this is open source, etc.
>
> well, i took a look at one Quran CD i had, and the formats are just Wav and
> bmp... the sound of the Shiekh Reading is in Wave, one Wave file for each
> "Aya",  and all files named according to the Soura and Aya, like for example
> "Goz2 1" /G01/S1A1.wav   <--thats Soura 1, aya 1..
> and the Quran Text is Stored as an image file, just 1 big image file, about
> 65 MB... its not a bmp though, and not compressed in any way, its just a
> format they invented could easily be cracked, if you give it a couple of
> hours... and one more file, its a text file, its a list of 4 numbers per
> line, space separated... 1 line for each "Aya", and 3 other numbers, im
> guessing they describe where the text belonging to this aya is on the big
> image file, because, each aya thats being read is shown in red...

Yeah, what they have doesn't really concern us - the data files we will be
using are plain UTF-8 text and as such we need to be clever about how the
data will be protected and how to insure that the application will only
function with said authenticated data.

Mohammed.Yousif, do please let us know what you have in mind for those
looking to work on this (at last count there were about 3 people).