Re: getting new members

Salam,

On Saturday 14 February 2004 09:44, Arafat Medini wrote:
> Salam,
>
> To be honest isn't the task of getting new members a task for the core
> members?

Yeah, of course it is. Like it is _your_ duty as a translation coordinator and
the duty of every Arabeyes member.

> we as translators are suffocating in work,

Yeah, I know, I'm a translator myself, a translation coordinator, a developer
and a core member, what about that ? ;)

> I will search for
> translators anyway so it's not my problem with the search itself

Yeah, please do.

> BUT I
> mean the core members also have responsabilities... And I am sure it's
> more the responsability of the core members to search and do propaganda
> for new members then it is ours.

Read above: it's not only ours.

> I am saying this because I am not
> seeing very much coming from our bosses in this regard.

Believe me, we have done very much in the past and trying to do more. To give
concrete facts, we have written "The Translator Guide" and detailed "Welcome
Messages" (that was very time-consuming, about a year ago) to ease the life
of anyone who would like to work on translation. The problem, as you know, is
that people subscribe (for an account, to the mailing lists or whatever), say
" I want to help", we give them subjects to help on (like translation for
ex), but they simply disappear...

For example, we have 300 people who have an Arabeyes account. How many are
contributing ?

Another fact is that I sent a list to A. Zawawi around last month with
possible future-kde-contributors so he could contact them and assign them PO
files if they agree. I did not receive any feedback from him concerning this
"experiment".

If you like, we can transform that list to "future-gnome-contributors" ;-)

Anyway, as usual, if you have any complementary or better idea, please be my
guest. Our common concern here is to have more people interested and
_actually_ contributing.

Salam and don't become discouraged ;-)

- --
Youcef R. Rahal