Arabic Unicode terminal support

Hi all,

I'm running Debian, and I'm trying to set up my terminals to deal with
Arabic UTF-8 data.  Sifting through hundreds of howtos and such about
unicode in general, it seems that I _should_ be able to set my locales
to ar_EG.UTF-8 (picked Egypt semi at random), open an xterm with the
-u8 flag, and then view files (say, in cat, or vim, which I understand
has good UTF-8 support[1]).  But I still get all kinds of non-Arabic
characters.

While I can't see utf8 Arabic, I _can_ see utf8 IPA fonts[2] using
`xterm -u8`.  I realize that I need to get a bi-directional library
like libfribidi0, as xterm doesn't (and won't[3] support
bi-directional text by itself), and I have ... but that's secondary
right now, as I can't see the script at all.

I've been reading up on this for days.  Do I need a Unicode terminal
font that supports Arabic, and if so, can someone reccomend one?
Also, could anyone point me to a good Arabic UTF-8 howto, or something
similar?

Thanks so much,

</nori>

[1] http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Unicode-HOWTO-4.html#ss4.4