Re: Windogz & utf-8

Ahmad Al-rasheedan a écrit :

Every time a friend that uses Windogz send me a message in Arabic I
have to switch my kmail to Windogz-1265 char set to read it and then switch it back to utf-8. Any reason microsoft NOT using utf-8 by default?
I don't know with kmail, but had problem with Horde/imp webmail and with Mozilla.
A standard e-mail should contain the character sets they send with the header :
text/plain; charset=us-ascii
by example (this is your mail)

A lot of people using windows and arabic put their default configuration with English and write in arabic.

So when you send a mail saying that you're writing in us-ascii and you're writing in windows-1256 (or in utf-8, by the way) a mail client that respect the standard is lost. Outlook doesn't care for the headers, so windows users won't see it.

The solution : ask them to configure their mail as arabic mail (Character set), not english one's and it should be transparent for you.

As for utf-8, before windows 2000, Windows even doesn't know it exist, so it depend on their configuration.

Hope ot helped
Regards
Armelle Nedelec