Re: Unicode Quranic Glyphs Proposal

--- Mohammed Yousif <mhdyousif at gmx dot net> wrote:

> > It could be isolated, initial or medial, do we need to submit a
> > requirement for three ligatures, e.g. In Al-Baqarah verse 8 الآخر is
> > medial where as your example is initial
> > And since it's a ligature, I suggest the names
> > ARABIC LIGATURE LAM WITH ALEF WITH HAMZA ABOVE FLOATING ISOLATED FORM
> > ARABIC LIGATURE LAM WITH ALEF WITH HAMZA ABOVE FLOATING INITIAL  FORM
> > ARABIC LIGATURE LAM WITH ALEF WITH HAMZA ABOVE FLOATING MEDIAL   FORM
>
> So, what's the difference between all of those, I really tend to say
> that they are the same glyph.

I don't see a change here - M.Yousif let me know if I need to change/add
anything.

> > It's already there:
> > 0305 COMBINING OVERLINE (=overscore) (connects on left and right)
> > (it's used in Japanese) (used to be called non-spacing overscore)
>
> Does it really behave like the sajda line? (i.e. following the behaviors
> I explained)

M.Yousif, could you please test to see how this glyph behaves ?  If it
doesn't do what we think it should, we need to simply mention this problem
in our proposal to get a reaction from unicode (ie. since we won't know
how to specify it, we can simply mention the expected behavior we need).

I've updated the document with Munzir's (thanks btw) and M.Yousif's
feedback, do please look it over and let me know (item #1, "Arabic
High Rectangular Zero", has been removed per M.Yousif's note since it
already exists as glyph U+06E0).  The idea is to mail this PDF and the
Quranic font file to Unicode to get the gears moving to solve these
issues ASAP.

  http://arabeyes.org/~nadim/tmp/qu_prop.pdf
  http://cvs.arabeyes.org/viewcvs/projects/quran/fonts/