Re: Status of Arabic OpenOffice

Hello Mr. Alzaffin:

My name is Anmar Oueja. I am one of the core arabeyes.org members.I am trying the carry the torch of localizing OOo interface to Arabic language.

Thani Alzaffin wrote:

Dear all,
Hey, these email threads is a sign that this project can get going after all.Thanks for having me part of the thread. I am new to the Open Source Community OSC, never particpated in one. I do have interset in taking lead in this project not as a programmer (used to be agood one, do not have the time now), but rather a project owner.

You are welcome to join our community and get involved in translation and documentation. Currently, Mr. Ossama Khayat is the lead for OOo Arabic Internationalization (supporting the actual mechanism of handling arabic script...etc). Mr Khayat is a great member of our community.

I am thinking of
outsoucing the work (funding it). I know this may sound strange in OSC, but should our management approved the project. I need to deliver on promise for the management and the community. Ofcourse, whatever is developed it will be circulated back to the OSC.

That is a great gift to the arab world. Currently, OOo 1.1 (RCx) has some of its user interface translated to Arabic. More work is still needed though

One the same note, I had a good meetig with our partner, SUN and the lead in Arabaization for SUN. The main topic of the agenda was how to get OOo Arabized. The message from SUN is since most of what is developed in StarOffice get into OOo -is it true?-

Yes it is and vice versa. The OpenOffice community contributes a considerable amount of code to Staroffice (much like mozilla and Netscape)

and since StarOffice
Arabic is being readied (missing some features like Arabic spell checker, Arabic interface, etc...), Sun says we can paricipate in completing the missing features in StarOffice and roll it into OOo. Is this a good aproach?!

It is best that we work on the OpenOffice.org code and not StarOffice due to possible complications in the future. OOo is open source so accessing CVS and the code does will not require the signing of any NDA

Our main objective, is to ready an package Arabic Linux plus Arabic OOo for the Arab word: Education sector, Governmets and Private (i.e. make main stream desktop). I know that IBM is reading Arabic Linux using KDE.

Currently GNOME and KDE can support arabic including a fully arabised environment. (http://www.arabeyes.org/~anmar/arabbix/arabbix.png). We are trying to introduce Linux and OpenSource to the Arabic public and private sectors bacause we feel it is the best alternative to today's computing choice and due to its inherit freedom and openness.

Can any one help me estimate the effort required to make OOo Arabized or Arabic enabled? After all, I need to approach the management with
a cost benif studay. (I know we can do alot of saving compared to what we pay Microsoft today).

I believe we are about 60% done localizing OOo interface. There is still the matter of help files, and some misc documents and samples. I am sorry but I can not comment on how long it would take to localize the help files of OOo. A professional translator might be better equiped to give an accurate estimate.

As for the Internationalization work needed for OOo I strongly recommend you contact Mr. Khayat on this mailing list to give you a better idea. In the mean time, you are welcome to browse this page that Mr. Khayat made for the internationalization of Arabic internationalization (i18n) of OOo (http://ar.openoffice.org/)

So, any ideas on how we can cooperate and proceed from here?

There are many avenues we can persue our goal. sponsorship is the fastest most sure way to reach our destination. Arabeyes would be happy to discuss this matter further or any other ideas you might have.

Kind Regards,

Anmar Oueja
www.arabeyes.org

Best Regards,

Thani Alzaffin
Director Gov. Information Resources Dept.
H. H. THE RULER'S COURT
GOVERNMENT OF DUBAI