RE: Arabic Quran XML data

> -----Original Message-----
> From: general-bounces at arabeyes dot org
[mailto:general-bounces at arabeyes dot org]
> On Behalf Of Nadim Shaikli
> Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 7:34 AM
> To: General Arabization Discussion
> Subject: Re: Arabic Quran XML data
>
> --- Mete Kural <metekural at yahoo dot com> wrote:
> > Ossama K wrote:
> > > Fixing? Like what? Mistakes, glyphs or what?
> >
> > The current text in the CVS is missing many diacritics
> > and other special characters as you may have noticed.
> > I was referring to adding those special characters.
>
> I don't think any of us should be adding/modifying anything
> until we get a proper authority to guide us in order for us
> to do the "right" thing.

You're right. We can't modify things on the CVS without the permission
of Yousif.
But we shouldn't freeze the work, until Yousif is back.
I suggest you can always submit your modification to directory
"projects/quran/experimental", or am I wrong on this?

> > > As far as I remember, various previous threads noted
> > > that you'll not be able to modify things and that
> > > the content will be correct and solid.
> >
> > I understand not being allowed to make changes once
> > the content is "correct and solid" but until that is
> > so someone has to make changes and correct it. As of
> > now, there are still many changes that need to be
> > made, i.e. adding special characters.
>
> No one claimed that the XML data is complete.  I suggest you
> concentrate on the actual application code and not the contents
> of the XML data as I'm sure there are plenty of areas worth
> looking into and improving upon (let alone implementing new
> features and whatnot).  Until we get proper guidance from
> Qurancomplex (or similar), I am _VERY_ uneasy about making or
> introducing any changes or even remotely claiming that the data
> files are complete and/or accurate.

You're right. We could better wait, until we get data from a trusted
source like QuranComplex

> > > As discussed before, the GPL wouldn't be suitable at
> > > all, because it allows _anyone_ to do _any changes_
> > > which is so dangerous.
> >
> > I believe that changes should be allowed for purposes
> > of modifying the Arabic text to comply with
> > manuscripts other than the King Fahd manuscript, such
> > as the Tashkent Quran and other newer manuscripts.
>
> Not to start a non-related thread on this, but again we are not
> to make such decisions until a proper higher authority can give
> us guidance.  What has happened in the course of history is no
> justification for continual deviation and I for one suggest we
> get someone in here who is appropriately schooled and justified
> to make correct decisions.
>
> > > I think this isn't 100% correct. Having different
> > > readings doesn't mean we also have different
> > > spelling.
> >
> > Well, as you may be aware of it, there are visible
> > spelling differences among different Quran manuscripts
> > that are popular in different countries. For instance
> > many Quran manuscripts in Iran and Turkey have extra
> > alefs in them that are not in the King Fahd printing.
> > Some 19th century manuscripts have different spellings
> > as well. So it is not just a difference in reading,
> > but also spelling. Even if it was only a difference in
> > reading, it would still be necessary to change the
> > diacritics in the text in order to comply to different
> > readings.
>
> Read my comments above - we are not qualified to make any
> changes period (and I realize that what we are holding now
> is not proper/correct), but we need to stop any further
> changes so as not to fool ourselves into thinking we are
> doing anything useful and get outside proper help ASAP.
>
> I highly recommend all people put in the extra effort to contact
> world respected and renowned authorities for proper help and in
> the meantime, concentrate on polishing and finishing up the
> application code and GUI along with the art work, etc (and don't
> be too preoccupied with the XML data content).

Yup, There is still enough work to do in developments tasks. Every help
in development is more than welcome