Re: Arabic Quran XML data

Hello Ossama,

Thank you for your response. When you said "seperate
the files into seperate ayas", did you mean "seperate
suras"? That is already done. The XML file is
seperated into suras here:
http://cvs.arabeyes.org/viewcvs/projects/quran/data/ar/text/
So I'm that the XML data in the above folder is the
most recently updated data. I have two
questions/suggestions about this data:

1) Can we get rid of the <searchtext> element in the
Quran XML data and instead use a smarter search
algortihm that removes special characters and
diacritics before searching the Quran text? I think
that maintaing Arabic text data that has the special
characters and diacritics manually removed is more
error-prone than using a smarter search algorithm. By
the way, this algorithm doesn't really have to be that
smart, it could simply remove the characters that
should not be searched from both the Quran text and
the search keyword and match them against each other.
Of course even smarter algorithms that provide
grammatical context aware searching would be nicer.

2) What are the copyright conditions on this Arabic
Quran XML data? The reason I am asking is that I
personally would like to contribute to the fixing of
this Arabic Quran XML data, and I also know a few
other friends who would like to contribute as well,
but we want to make sure that the copyright will not
restrict anyone to download this data for free without
restrictions and make additional changes to it,
similar to a typical open-source license. Why is this
important? Because not all Quran manuscripts are
exactly the same and they have slight differences in
the orthography (spelling) of certain words and the
option should be given to whomever downloads these
files to change the spelling of such words to
whichever style they prefer and use it as such.

Thanks,
Mete

http://cvs.arabeyes.org/viewcvs/projects/quran/libquran/data/xml/