Re: Arabic site (was -Arabeyes News Digest)

On Thursday 04 September 2003 20:54, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> Isam, you know the history well.  When Arabeyes came on-line (more than
> two years ago) you couldn't even write you name in Arabic on linux.  Alot
> of things have changed, but one thing remains.  If you are serious about
> development and/or translation you will have to know english - there is
> no way around it.  There is nothing sad about that - that is simply
> reality.

I agree, At that time Arabic was not that possible, but now things are
changes, and Arabeyes need to change as well.. at least change gradually

> What do you propose ?  Arabeyes will continue to mainly be run in English
> (we very much require and depend on external non-Arab support too).

I disagree with this, as Arabeyes main source and power is the Arabs
themselves, the non-arabs had been and will continue to be a great source of
help, and assistance to the project, but they should not have a higher
priority, and higher consideration than Arabs themselves.

> Instead of complaining about this (and if memory serves, you've talked
> about this for at least a year), I recommend you take-up the item and
> complete it. Take on the site and Arabize it - once things are Arabized,
> new content will have to be Arabized (or vice-versa).  Take ACE for
> instance - we will only publish new ACEs in both Arabic and English
> (always).

the question is: will the next ACEs it be English translated to Arabic or
vice-versa...

> I don't see it that way at all.  Again my view is that the people who will
> contribute will continue to need to know English (how will you develop if
> you can't read various docs and howtos out there beyond Arabeyes ? and how
> will you translate if you don't know english).  So your point, although
> emotional, is not logical.

Well, I did not say to abandon English, all I am saying is to give Arabic a
higher priority, and a higher rank than it is having now.

> I again suggest that you "become part of the solution" and use your talents
> to solve this issue (you were a translation super-power, no ?).  The files
> above are a great start, if you would like to see what you note become a
> reality, bring it forth as such and make it happen.
>
> Let us know what you decide to do.

As for me, I can not commit my self to such big project, as the amount of
content in English is really great (is size), and I do not have the time or
the commitment to it at the current time. And to be frank, I do not plan to
work on an Arabic interface for Arabeyes if it was not the main site
language, as I think that Arabic Language should come first for the site, a
simple calculation can tell you that more than 95% of the contributors to the
project are Arabs, and use Arabic as a first language, and talking to them in
Arabic is important, I will be really happy in the day that I see an Arabeyes
announcement send to annouce at arabeyes in Arabic along with English. The
problem is not translating the site, it is the will from your side.

Yours
Isam Bayazidi