Re: What are the needed Arabized applications?

--- Anmar Oueja <anmar at canada dot com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-08-31 at 20:16, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> > > Name            : gnome-terminal
> > > Version         : 2.2.2
> > > Category        : terminal emulator
> > > Importance      : A Must (4/5)
> > > Status          : Proper Bidi and shaping.
> >
> > Does gnome-terminal do bidi and shaping ?  I thought it didn't.
>
> Gnome Terminal supports UTF-8 but does not seem to support Arabic
> although it is compiled against Pango. Will send an email to Havoc to
> see if he knows if it is a simple change to make it use Arabic.

Then there is no need to have it be included (and certainly not at that
high level of importance).  Once Arabic support is created/added then
full-throttle ahead.  Anmar, do please let us know (or CC 'developer')
with regards to that contact with Havoc.

> > > Name            : ncurses
> > > Version         : 5.3
> > > Category        : Text Based GUI. Important for Installers
> > > Importance      : A Must (4/5)
> > > Status          : Proper Bidi and shaping.
> >
> > Same here - that version renders Arabic properly ?i
>
> I have tried with no success. Have you had any luck with it ?

I believe Behdad at some point noted wanting to look into this (not sure
what if anything happened there).  Again, same story here; if Arabic
support is not there, then there is no need to include it.

Both this item and the one above are important candidates to include
Arabic support into - once that is done we can include them into distros.

Anmar, you might want to update Arabeyes' project_list text file with
the above two items.

> > > Name            : Evolution
> > > Version         : 1.4
> > > Category        : terminal emulator
> > > Importance      : A Must (4/5)
> > > Status          : Proper translation
> >
> > OK, this would fall under Arabeyes' Gnome translation project, right ?
> > Or is it a seperate .po files ?
>
> To be honest, I am not sure. Evolution is part of Ximian Desktop but I
> do not know if it is part of GNOME. Arafat, can you shed some light on
> this please.

Same here - make sure Arabic works otherwise we need to put it on a
"fix it" list and include it later.

> > > Name            : xfce4
> > > Version         : 4
> > > Category        : Light Weight Window Environment (GTK2 Based)
> > > Importance      : A Must (2/5)
> > > Status          : Proper Translation.
> >
> > Does it have Arabic support ?  If not, is it being pushed for or looked
> > into ?  Bare in mind that we are only interested in Arabic-centric
> > applications and things that relate to it.
> >

> Yes it does have arabic support since it is based on GTK2. The reason i
> put this in bacause it is very small to localise and offers a light and
> simple Windowing Environment with out the clutter of KDE and GNOME. I
> think it provides a solid alternative to GNOME and KDE.

Great, if you get some screenshots of Arabic titles, do please let me know.
I'd love to see 'em.

[snip snip]

> I though of a few more. I will keep adding them as i use and discover
> more. BTW, does this list include Documentation. For example a document
> on how to use DocBook to do Arabic Documentation would be a good thing.
> Please elaborate.

Good point - I'm not sure that is a priority right now, but certainly
worth a discussion and a question.

Mr. Alkarouri/Mr. Obeid ?  BTW: any further status ?

As for the others ?  Well, I really hope NO one ever complains about
the lack of arabic support in distros - if this is the level of response
(3 people) who reply when prompted what would you like to include in the
various popular distros and hardly anyone replies.  Its still not too
late, tell us what you'd like to see included !!