some general points

Assalamu alaikum,

Let me start by saying that I am a proponent of Linux and fully support the Arabization efforts spearheaded by Arabeyes and others.  Any criticism here is intended to iron out the problems, not to bash anyone.

I should also mention my basic needs in terms of Arabic computing: I want to be able to view and compose well-formatted Arabic text for the web and email.  So far, I have not been able to do this with Linux, and have therefore been using Windows XP.  (If any kind person wants to point me to a faq on how to do this, it would be much appreciated.)  I am not really interested in an Arabic UI, since English is easier and more familiar for me.

Now comes the criticism:

I tried out Arabbix 0.8 and I'm not terribly impressed.  It failed on 2 of the three computers I tried it on.  (I specialize in cheap hardware. :))  One of the computers it failed on (with a kernel panic one time and just hung the other time) runs XP perfectly and is a run of the mill Pentium-based system with an IDE drive.  The other is an old Acer extensa 390 laptop running Redhat 6 smoothly.  Arabbix just hung on it.  Arabbix did work on my C3 Gigapro.  However, Mozilla was very flaky and the fonts were just plain ugly.

I can provide more details to anyone interested.

Salam,
Moustafa