Re: Reaction to Arabbix-0.5

--- Anmar Oueja <anmar at canada dot com> wrote:
> Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> > 6. The configuration settings and their alteration is VERY difficult
> >    to comprehend,
> >    a. On the second PC the graphics resolution was WAY too big
> >       (I hardly could see anything due to the small letters) and
> >       I could not find out how you go about changing the resolution.
>
> I will be installing and Xrandr Tool to Change X resolution.

Can all those commands be added to a menu and associated icons (from
reading your notes below, I doubt it -- its odd that Gnome doesn't
include such a tool natively) ?

> >    -> I highly recommend simplifying the various menus and grouping
> >       related things into a common menu.  So instead of having single
> >       items on the bottombar, have a group for 'Arabeyes', one for
> >       'Docs', one for 'Configuration', etc.  The amount of current
> >       menus and their navigation is rather confusing - newbies might
> >       be taken aback.
>
> The menues are controlled by debian packages. We need to create a debian
> package that has all the links we want. it is not straight forward as we
> need some time to learn how to make a deb. package and how to manipulate
> the debian menu system.

Morphix doesn't provide a means to piggy-back menus/content on top of
Gnome's setup/environment ?  Is there a module out there that might
possibly include all these user "config" setup applications ?

> > Anmar, as this is very important and the 10th is too close to ignore,
> > could you upload whatever configuration files that are needed with some
> > docs on how we can generate the image in order to help ya ?  Elzubeir
> > has noted that he won't be able to download multiple images (due to
> > bandwidth constraints) and would like to download the necessary files
> > once and then keep on rebuilding it and creating the image.
>
> I definitely upload the stuff... but it is not gonna help at all. since
> the entire system will have to be rebuilt every time i.e. you not gonna
> save much time by doing it your self and it is gonna be a nightmare
> merging each other's work.

Well there are a couple of reasons for that,

 + To help those that are bandwidth sensative.  There are lots of people
   that won't be able to download 600+Meg every couple of days, they
   might do it every 5-6 months, but would like to keep up and generate
   their own images (elzubeir falls into that camp from what I gather).

 + The 10th a on our heals and I (for one) would really like to help,
   yet I'm not sure how to go about it.

BTW: When should we expect a 0.6 and what sort of changes are coming.

Salam.

 - Nadim "PushPush" Shaikli :-)