Re: Arabic LUG (was - Palestinian Linux Users Group)

--- Ahmad Twaijry <msx at hush dot com> wrote:
> Can anyone tell the Palestinian Group to fix there maillist ?

Its maintainer is Kamal,

  http://www.arabeyes.org/people.php?username=dalal

> BTW: Anyone know the name of the group master ? (and his email ?) and
> if anyone know any info. about Iraqi or Lebanon groups please send it
> to me

I think I know what you are trying to do (per my various conversations
with various LUG owners), you are trying to bring forth a single collective
Arabic LUG to reality (yes, yes, yes please !! :-)  Let me expound for
those that aren't in the loop (and I hope I'm correct about this).  I've
often preached and talked to people on IRC about having a single point
of LUG contact (similar to linux4arab) which pulls the various Arabic
LUGs together (not to replace them, but to tie them all together so that
they can all start helping each other and working together more).  The
idea was to have this ArabicLug.org (or any other relevant name + .org)
simply pull data (via RSS or similar) from the various Arabic linux
user groups.  Today one has to go to 8-9 sites to read all the various
LUGs' news, this idea will simply collect the data from the various LUG
websites and present it to the reader with the appropriate links, etc
in one location.  This will serve as a great single stop for newbies and
those simply looking to go to a single site for the latest news about the
various Arabic LUGs.

FYI,
 + I have talked to the .eg LUG (Alaa) and he was receptive to the idea.
 + I have talked to the .lb LUG (Jad)  and he was receptive and even
   offered to host the collective LUG (not sure if this is the right name
   for it, but...) and possible even code-up the pages, etc.
 + I have talked/emailed the .iq LUG and they are very receptive to the
   idea and even encouraged it.
 + From what I heard from Mr. Elzubeir the .sa LUG was also for such a
   venture.

This certainly seems like critical mass to me and a wonderful start to
a better organized collective of entities.  The various LUGs that I know
of are on Arabeyes' homepage on the right-menu below 'Related Sites'.

Let us know how things proceed and thanks (Ahmad, you are doing a GREAT
job !!).  If you need anyone's email address and/or require help, let me
know.