help programming in arabic

Salem,

I'm not a programmer but I use Linux and I am a linguistic student in Paris and I want to make some free work on the arab languge. So, can someone help me in this aim :

It's very easy what I want to do :

for example how can we read in C programmin g a file in arabic character :

If I have a some text or poem in arabic and I want to know how much a caracters in it under C program. I do it in my degree for thr french language but I hope to do the same work for my own launguge.

Thanks for your help and we have to push Linux in Arabic more and more.
If there some doc or something like dont foget to talk about

 Chiheb

Soory for my english !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!