Re: Arabeyes & Open Source

--- Munzir Taha <munzirtaha myrealbox.com> wrote:

[snip]

> Now, let me be serious a little. Isam reasoning is clear to me
> theoratically, at least. But what if Elzubeir deleted all of the
> files in the server and in sourcforge. Suppose also no one happen
> to have a copy of one project or more, won't we lose it? Suppose,
> also that he developed these programs and sold it after making
> numerous changes how can you prove it?

We are supposed to have backups of the site/cvs/mailing-lists/etc done
periodically.  Those backups are supposed to be stored on site and else-where
(in case of a calamity - fire/earthquakes/war/etc).  With the recent changes
with regard to arabeyes' hosting, I'm not sure if that has been disrupted
(but it would be a good guess that it has).  In short, we have had and will
continue to have a plan to backup all info and to disribute it across the
globe (let us know if you'd like to be one of those that would allow us to
upload backups onto your machine in an automated manner !!).  We have also
toyed with the idea of mirroring the site (sans the dynamic stuff, CVS,
bugzilla, etc) and our arabeyes sf.net mirror is a step in that direction
(I'm also guessing that arabeyes.sf.net is outdated a bit).

So to make a long story short, we've tried to think about all these things
and we've taken some initial steps in that regard (with more to follow).  We
could certainly use help in the following areas (as noted),

 1. if you'd be willing for us to upload backups of arabeyes, do please let
    us know (the backup files are not to be touched or mucked around with)
 2. if you'd like to setup a mirror of arabeyes.org, also let us know.
 3. if you are really passionate about arabeyes (and who isn't), donate
    some money to the project (every penny/fils is accounted for and NO
    it does NOT go to any person - its for buying equipment/upkeep/etc)

      http://www.arabeyes.org/donate.php

So don't worry (there are 4 people already doing that) about arabeyes'
future - we are trying VERY hard to make sure it will inshalla continue
with and without jokes :-)

Hope that helped & Salam.