Re: Working with Arabic...

--- ?????? ????? <mohamad mail snunit k12.il> wrote:
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
You might want to consider using ASCII (ie. latin letters) for your
name since there are many legacy systems out there that still don't
support non-ASCII identifiers.

> In my organization there is X-Win installed but it doesn?t support
> Arabic, it doesn?t have the fonts.
>
> I need your help with the steps that I have to do in order to built
> such an environment.

I'm not sure what you mean by "environment".  Are you looking to have
most of the application reveal Arabic menu items, error messages, etc ?
If so then use Gnome/KDE with the appropriate Arabic settings (Gnome and
KDE have their own applications (read/write) in which Arabic is supported).
If this is the case, someone will have to jump-in and help ya with the
exact procedure (you should also look at arabeyes' 'general' archives and
do a search on its main-page).

Post enabling gnome, you can also access a gnome editor here,

 + Download and compile katoob	 	- www.arabeyes.org/develop.php

If, on the other hand, you are looking to be "functional" and be able to
read/write arabic without Gnome/KDE, then I'd recommend you do the following,

 + Download and compile fribidi		- fribidi.sf.net
 + Download and compile mlterm		- mlterm.sf.net
 + Download and compile vim		- www.arabeyes.org/develop.php
 + Download and compile emacs-bidi	- www.m17n.org/emacs-bidi/index.html

If you don't have root access on that machine at work you can always do
"./configure --prefix=/path_to_my_home_dir/download/package_name" as a
work-around for when you need to do "make install" on each application.
Make sure to search arabeyes' archives (mostly on the 'developer' list
for various discussions and tidbits).

You will be able to find various fonts on the web and/or on arabeyes
(make sure to look for "complete" ISO-10646 fonts).

 + Download Arabic fonts		- www.arabeyes.org/resources.php

 To "load-in" those fonts do,

  "cd dir_where_those_new_fonts_were_downloaded_to"
  "mkfontdir"
  "xset fp+ dir_where_those_new_fonts_were_downloaded_to"
  "xset fp  rehash"

Hope that helps.