Re: spaniard wants to type arabish on DEBIAN

 --- Alberto Corbi Bellot <bcorbi at ono dot com> wrote: >
hi! my name is alberto corbi, a spanish physics and
> arabic student...

I'm very delighted to see a Spanish studying Arabic.

> I've recently hangin' around yor arabeyes project
> and let me first of
> all congratulate you for your efforts... well done!
> it was high time
> somebody got interested in merging arabic and
> linux...
>
> and now the questions....
>
> I see you can, for example, use gvim with arabic...
> but, how i do it my
> self with my spanish keyboard and DEBIAN distro?
> what files shoud i
> edit? what fonts to download?

I don't use gvim or vim a lot, but anyhow you've to
download VIM's Arabic patch and the Arabic fixed fonts
from VIM's project page in Arabeyes' website, then
you've to recompile vim.

> how can I test your version of gnome-arabic?

GNOME isn't available in Arabic yet, we've translated
about 24% of the total GNOME apps and interface. I
think the next release of GNOME might include Arabic.
Anyhow, the Arabic version will be available on
GNOME's site.

> how is arabic codified? for the time being i do use
> arabtex... arabtex
> uses ASMO 490 to codify arabic with latin letters?
> for instance, if i
> want to type "house" y write in my latex file:
> <byt>... then arabtex
> translates this to arabic with arabic letters in a
> dvi file... how is it
> done in gnome or gvim...?

According to my knowledge Arabic is codified in UTF-8
in *ALL* of our projects since UTF-8 is becoming a
standard encoding for all languages.

> how can i have openoffice-bidi working with arabic?

You can download the Arabic version of Open Office
from this link.
http://www.mribti.com/mirror/OOo1.0_linuxintel_arabic.tgz

> by the way... i have a logo for gnome-arabic... if
> you are interested i
> can mail it... :-)

Send an E-Mail to contact at arabeyes dot org and see if they
like it or not.

> thanks millions before hand and good luck!

Thanks to you.

> --
> Alberto Corbi Bellot
> Student
> Faculty of Physics
> University of Valencia
> c/ Dr. Moliner, 50
> 46100 Burjassot
> Tel: 610457462
> <acorbi at alufis35 dot ffisic dot uv dot es>
> <alberto dot corbi at navegalia dot com>

=====
Mohammed Gamal
Member of "ArabEyes", Linux Arabization Team
GUI & documentation translator
http://www.arabeyes.org