Re: [Cooker] GPLed Arabic ttf in mdk 9.1 ?

Kaixo!

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 12:08:51AM +0200, Mohammed Sameer wrote:

> Hi all,
>  King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology - Saudi Arabia released last week a pack of GPL'd Arabic fonts. It is available at
>
>     http://www.linux.org.sa/download/download.html
>
> Is there a chance to include them in Mandrake 9.1 ??

Thank you very much;
Indeed we will be very happy to include arabic fonts in next release
(and, btw, it will finally enable Arabic during the install).

There is however a problem with the above fonts, when I tell a gtk2/pango
program to use them the program crashes.
I'm using Xft2

I also noticed a strange thing, in the fonts.cache-1 file the Style
is set to the font name, insted of "Regular", "Bold" etc.

Are you aware of such problems, or should I report them to the Xft people ?

Waht would be very nice too is if the font coverage could be extended beyond
just arabic language, to include glyphs used by Farsi and Urdu, as well
as gaf (used in a lot of place names in Maghrib), that way those fonts
could become the default fonts for all arabic script languages, in a way
similar as to how Arial is a default for latin/cyrillic.

THanks

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://chanae.stben.be/pablo/		PGP Key available, key ID: 0xD9B85466
[you can write me in Walloon, Spanish, French, English, Italian or Portuguese]