Re: Akka on solaris

--- Mohammed Elzubeir <elzubeir> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 04:50:45PM -0700, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
>
> If you have read the half-assed Akka Reference Manual that I tried to put
> together a long time ago, you would have noticed that I listed the two
> dependencies:

I don't see anything in the README file and the Ref. Manual doesn't exist
in the tar package (what is it called ?) - there is no INSTALL file that
sometimes contains info like that.

> 1. SWIG - a tool for automatically generating the wrapper needed to link
> collections of functions written in C/C++ w/ interpreted scripting languages
> (currently only Perl is supported in Akka).
>
> 2. ORBit - a highe performance CORBA ORB w/ support for C. It allows programs
> to send requests and receive replies from other programs, regardless of the
> locations of the two programs.

Is there anyway we could live without those two -- if we need to generate
wrappers in perl (let me know I'm pretty good with perl :-).  What do other
programs use instead of COBRA to communicates (sockets ?).  I'm just thinking
what can be done to make Akka more main stream, but then again I don't know
if you guys have already thought about all this.

> I don't know about the pecularities of SunOS, but I would be very surprised
> if Akka compiles (even after satisfying the dependencies). It uses very linux
> specific ioctl calls, and font descriptions. My biggest problem with porting
> it to FreeBSD has been with the way it describes fonts (linux vs. freebsd).

I'll do whatever you guys want me to do :-)

 - Nadim