Re: Thoughts on Arabic support group

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 06:39:18PM -0700, Nadim Shaikli wrote:

> Check out english.ajeeb.com note their "tarjim" button :-)
>
> type-in www.linuxdoc.org and vualaaaaaaaaaaaa...

I'll have a look at that.

> Should we use it to track all these conversations since lots seems to be
> said.

Patience ;) I'll setup a mailing list <long breath>, when I setup the new
fakkir.net server.

> Well, its serious time -- if someone is intimidated by CVS, then they have no
> business thinking of contributing to opensource (yah, you go boy :-)

You're right. You're also limiting your options, of who would contact you.
Maybe not.. I'll do it like you said. Chahine's been on my case about that for
a very long time.. and I did set it up, but not world readable though.

> I was getting at the content, not the look and feel (plus I use that window
> manager and get to see it quite often) -- they also use majordomo (check out
> the 'archive' section).

I figured ;) That was just a cry for attention <g>

> not spell it the same way and they would have difficulty saying it as well.
> If there is going to be an attempt to attract people the name has to be

Bahaha.. come on now.. maybe you don't know me (duh!). I don't easily get
offended. And yes, you are right, it's hard to type. *I* misspelled it a
hundred times, before it became natural.

> memorable as well as spellable once remembered (there is no confusion when it
> comes to mandrake or debian - too many vowels together are troublesome).
> Believe me I've misspelled aunyx like 20 times already.  How about
> www.mafi.org (you've used that name before) or are you even open to
> suggestions ?  If its an important issue and you'all want to stick with it,
> I'll back off (I was merely suggesting).

No.. it's not such an important issue. I only say that, words become catchy by
practice and not by nature. The word 'linux' is hard to pronounce, since it
has several variations. In fact, it's a ridiculous word. After years of
distribution, it's a natural word.

Now, if you think it is something of that importance that it should be
changed, I'm all ears. It's not the question of money. In fact, the name Aunyx
(like I mentioned earlier) could potentially have complications (legal ones).
So, yes, sure.. if you can come up with a better name, I'm open to suggestions
(and I'm sure Mustafa and Chahine are too).

All is said. I just think other more important matters need to be sorted out
first.

> It would be ideal if it listed exactly what's coming and what's needed.  Long
> term as well as short term thoughts/projects/ideas areas for discussion, etc.

Hrmm.. <deep contemplation>... wait for the servlet sql driven site then ;)

> Sure take your time.  You wanted suggestions, well you got 'em.

No! You're supposed to say, get on it dammit!

> I think we'll need to talk about immenent projects next - short and long
> term; just list them out and collect everyone's lists and then have an
> open forum comment involving others you guys know that might want to start
> helping.  Come to think of it, maybe we ought to wait until we have a mail
> archiver, meanwhile we should start a list of contact people who could
> contribute.

Okay, I don't know why I'm remembering this.. I already have such a list ;)
Oh, here's a new registration. Moroccan, owns a company (www.sagma.ma).

I'm gonna get organized over the weekend. Draft out everything, and revive
the project.

--
Mohammed Elzubeir

General Access Labs (x2825)