Re: Submitted papers

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Chahine M. Hamila wrote:

> David Starner wrote:
>
> There I am not an expert and I wasn't aware of any problem with
> UCS-2. But what I meant when writing that above is either UCS-2 or
> UCS-4 invariably. Both are better in terms of internal processing
> in a program since each character takes a constant space in
> memory.

but UCS-2 does not encode characters above BMP!

> UTF-8 is good for storage or data exchange, but it
> multiplies complexity of many basic string functions by n.

Which ones? any examples?

I use UTF-32 internally and UTF-8 for transfers too, but just convert
from UTF-8 to UTF-32 that I really need, example: in my implementation
of the filter that performs bidi algorithm on console, first I check
for any non-ascii character in UTF-8 input, and if I find one, then
convert it to UTF-32, apply bidi, and convert the output to UTF-8
again...

--
Behdad
29 Mordad 1380, 2001 Aug 20