Re: Submitted papers

Yes, the issue has been discussed with other people using other Semitic based
language. For non Hebrew users, the problem is not really important since 1)
what is done on Arabization benefits every Arabic-based language 2) non Hebrew
and non Arabic scripts are so little used for now that any work done is what
will actually define how things will work.
Now, with Hebrew users, the some feedback we got wasn't very enthusiastic about
the idea indeed. The main disagreement is about Hebrew users wanting to stick
to the already defined standards (which isn't a bad thing in itself), and the
Arabeyes people who are more into making one minor change to the bidi standard
which would allow us to benefit from thousands of programs in a raw without a
single line of code added to the existing programs and without any overhead or
addition of complexity.
If we still keep parting direction, we will indeed have two different bidi
algorithms. IMHO, even though it would be better to have one only algorithm,
it's not that important, as the algorithm would just be language dependent, and
the pros of getting all these thousands of existing programs at once is more
important that the cons of having two bidi algos or being slightly different
from what the unicode consortium has defined.