Re: Accounts -- to be active or not to be

On Sat, 2004-10-02 at 11:02, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> --- Muhammad Alkarouri <malkarouri at yahoo dot co dot uk> wrote:
> > The systematic solutions you are seeking are either:
> > - Using my suggestion, which is your system (6run12vote) plus a simple
> >   ban list (could be a text file) which is generated manually and observed
> >   by the voting system, the candidates being already generated by the
> >   system (active cvs accounts), or
> > - Deciding on arbitraty complex rules to judge. 6R12V and the person
> >   should be X and hasn't been Y since Z and is within the bounds of W,
> >   etc.
>
> The crux of our "fears" is that an unknown entity (or multiples there-of)
> get CVS access under the pretext of doing work, do a couple of superficial
> commits (of no or little value) and they are granted full voter access
> given this all happened within the past 12months.  Along the same lines
> of a "ban list", we could have a probation period for all new incoming
> CVS account holders.  That probation is only lifted if their project-manager
> (ie. whomever they are helping) or a 'core' member if they've started their
> own project OK's them within a certain period of time.  This in turn gives
> Arabeyes a level of comfort in knowing that all those that will vote are
> genuine bona fide contributers who truly should have an equal say in what
> is to occur (plus all of this can be scripted :-).

Not really an issue. I am not giving out CVS accounts unless the project
maintainer of a given project actually okays the account. Until then,
the contributor can submit patches via bugzilla [1].

Makes everyone's life easier.

[1] http://bugs.arabeyes.org/

--
Regards