Re: Core Elections

--- Muhammad Alkarouri <malkarouri at yahoo dot co dot uk> wrote:
> Some minor technical points and suggestions.

Great, thanks.

> - There should be some time for naming of the candidates. A week should
>   be more than enough. An elegible person should run for election by
>   sending an e-mail to forum. Some time is needed, because sometimes
>   we may need to convince a reluctant 'good member' to run for election.

Absolutely - we also need a cut-off date.  So in short, we should have a
"start of candidacy announcement" date and an "end of candidacy announcement"
date with people posting this into to the 'forum' list.  The end should be
a week or so before the actual election in order to setup the actual
election process and denote people's names, etc.

> - Every member can vote at most once for a specific member, per election.

Not quite; per the doc, every active member will have one vote per 'core'
seat.  So in other words, if we're to have 5 'core' members (and that is
the current plan), then each active member will have 5 votes to cast to
different individuals (ie. you can't vote more than once to the same person).

> - What will happens if there is a tie? Say, 7 members getting the same
>   vote count?

Good question :-)  We could have a run-off election (not worth the
headache), we could lock those 7 members in a room (figuratively
speaking) and have them decide on who should drop out (might create
future unnecessary tension) or we can have the current 'core' members
make the decisive decision or ...

> - Elections are to be valid with any number of voters.

That is true - its noted implicitly, I guess we'll make it explicit.

> - A disqualified core team will continue to run core duties till
>   the special elections are held.

Yup.

> - At least for the coming elections, you need to specify the actual
>   team size, say 5 core members.

That was the idea - its not set in concrete since this number might need
to change in the future due to need.

> - If any substantial changes are made now (like having a week for naming
>   candidates) we may have to postpone the next elections by a week or so.

The current elections won't happen in time (first week of Sept) since we
are far from ready for 'em (we don't even have the proper method to vote
or tally-up the votes).  We've been discussing this in our 'core' meetings
so do please check the meeting minutes.  A number of TODOs regarding this
topic are outstanding which people need to get to.

> - I would suggest that the votes held in Arabeyes machine to be
>   discarded after, say 6 months from election. Otherwise I will
>   look into all historical votes to know why I wasn't voted for
>   in the previous 60 times, in 2075 ;)

I agree.  I would even say 30 days would be sufficient.  If there are any
irregularities or conduct questions we'll certainly know before the month
is up and that's only when those votes would need to be re-tallied.