Re: Ubuntu Arabic Support

On Mon, Jan 02, 2006 at 11:16:13PM -0800, Anmar Oueja wrote:
> I am talking about a web-based localization tool used by the entire
> Ubuntu project. The tool is called Rosetta and it is designed to allow
> the entire Linux community to register projects (i.e. OpenOffice) and
> start translating it using simple web browsers.  for example, here is
> a link to this tool, named Rosetta by the Ubuntu people showing you a
> group of projects that were registered within it and have some Arabic
> localization:
>
> <https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/dapper/+lang/ar>

I'll tell you the problems from my point of view.
Some people still prefer CVS and kbabel/gtranslator/poedit.
By using a web interface and the CVS at the same time,
We might end up with conflicts or effort duplication.

This was an item from my private agenda, I didn't talk about here before.

I'd really prefer to use a web translation tool that is hosted on arabeyes.org
to allow us to manage the problem above "I don't really know how".

Something like webbabel or pootle, I think pootle is not only a web interface
to translate, It ontains tools to convert OpenOffice and mozilla files <--> po files.
IIRC, You can even have a supervisor level.

I know that we should stick to what is widely used so that people will only
have to learn and be familiar with only one interface but do we all have a
24/7 connection ? What if someone is using dialup and wants to help ?

I guess in that case we should have the coordinator welling to distribute
files by hand and do the actual CVS work because I still think that people translating
should not be forced o use the CVS unless they really want to.

To allow our work to propagate to debian and/or ubuntu, We can sync every now
and then to Rosette. I understand that this is an extra effort for the coordinator.
But the whole point of discussing this here is to know about their opinions and
to try to think constructively, see/know/notice what are the problems we have or
might face to find workarounds,

PS. Please, I don't want any flame wars or ugly comments.

Best regards,

--
GNU/Linux registered user #224950
Proud Egyptian GNU/Linux User Group <www.eglug.org> Admin.