Re: Arabeyes HOWTOS

On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 18:17, Abdulaziz Al-Arfaj wrote:
> Salam,
>
> I was happy to see the initiative Anas has taken recently by updating one of
> our HOWTOs. I say why stop there?
>
> Many of our HOWTOs and docs on our documentation page[1] are outdated. Others
> have mistakes in them. More importantly, we don't have enough HOWTOs covering
> different Arabization issues.

Right.

> We need someone to maintain the docs and HOWTOs on a permanent basis, making
> sure none grow outdated, correcting mistakes, and
> collecting/writing/translating new HOWTOs.

Not practical. Each document writer is responsible for their document. I
am responsible for the overall documentation.

> I can hear some of you say:"Well, what don't YOU do it?? And stop your
> whinin'!". Well, maybe I should, but I want to give others the chance to do it.

Sorry, I didn't get that. Just do it.

> Anyone (I repeat, ANYONE) is welcome to take over this task. You don't have to
> be an active translator even, but having translator skills is a plus. We just
> need someone to keep his eye on this page and give the rest of us a buzz when
> something needs to be done.

You are welcome. Just do it.

> This is sort of a high priority, so anyone who has a task with a relatively low
> priority compared to this (HINT: Ossama and his Arts page ;D ) might want to
> consider relinqushing that task for this one instead.
>
> Guys, should we add this to the list of "open positions" on Arabeyes?

No. There is a simple way to correct 'mistakes' in docs. We call it
bugzilla [1]. There have generally been a very short time span from the
time a report is filed to the time it is fixed. Try it for yourself and
you will find authors very responsive.

If you are talking about substantial changes, check out the xml
document, create fixes, submit a patch to it (unless you have an
understanding with the author to commit directly to their document).

Regards
| Unix the 'right' way |  http://elzubeir.openius.com/|