The "Arabic crash" in Debian Installer : final conclusion (fingers crossed)

My mails triggered a lot of investigation, finally...

Steve Langasek, with the help of a few other D-I developers finally
tracked down the problem to the slang library, where Steve included
the shaping code while he was doing the work for BiDi support in early
June 2004.

After 1-2 hours discussion and hacking, Steve and Bastian Blank
polished a patch to slang. The bug has been tagged "serious" and
reassigned to the slang Debian package...

This means that this bug is release critical and thus will be fixed.

So, finally, the "Arabic crash" revealed a nasty buffer overflow
problem. Interesting side effect of the little shaddas...:-)

Thanks a lot to all people who cared about this...

The whole story:

http://bugs.debian.org/272136