GNOME: Desktop Subtree Finished (Apparently)

Salam,

We've finally managed to finish the Desktop subtree under GNOME. We have a
problem:

Even though on my box all the files appear 100% complete, for the life of me I
can't figure out exactly why some files appear incomplete here:

http://www.arabeyes.org/misc/gnome_status_bar.html

I am guessing, though I could not verify this, that it is because the script is
detecting errors in some of the strings. When I check for faulty strings on my
box from kbabel, I get "errors" too. I noticed that:

1. All translated strings ending in question marks are detected as faulty. Why?
I think its because msgfmt doesn't recognize the Arabic question mark as an
equivalent of the latin Qmark. It tries to see if the English string and
translated string both end in the same punctuation, and when it sees an Arabic
Qmark it complains.

2. For some reason, if a string contains a %d, then you MUST include it in the
translation no matter what. This shouldnt be so in plural forms, especially in
the mufrad and muthanna forms in Arabic, where we neither say 1 cat nor 2 cats
but actually write qitta and qittatain, making the %d needless. Well msgfmt (or
kbabel) thinks this is an error apparently.

I think this may be why the script shows the files as incomplete. This doesnt
really matter, I'm just worried similiar scripts on the Gnome servers will
think these files are incomplete too. Are these bugs in msgfmt or kbabel? I
have no clue. Can someone look into this please?

We need to see if this is a problem, and if it is how to fix and if it isnt
what are we doing wrong.

Regards,

Abdulaziz,