Re: Abi rocks the socks

--- Arafat Medini <lumina at silverpen dot de> wrote:
> Well that was my problem (and still is) do we use
> "nukta" for bulleting
> even if we don't have the form of a point? for eg.
> if we have an arrow
> or a star, I think using nukta in that context is
> not right. It's not
> really correct.

If you look through www.onelook.com for that work
(http://www.onelook.com/?w=bullet&ls=a), you'll find
two good difinitions here
(http://www.netlingo.com/lookup.cfm?term=bullet) and
here
(http://www.computeruser.com/resources/dictionary/definition.html?lookup=414).
Both of those refer to it (in computing context) as a
dot and later a circle, square, star or whatever.
Now, when you say نقطة that doesn't _only_ mean a
point or dot, but also "one item of a list", just like
if I say:
نناقش اليوم النّقاط التّالية
I guess I'm not discussing "dots", am I? ;-)

> So that was why I didn't wanted to use nukta as the
> Arabic pendant of
> bullet.
> I'm still undecided I liked matta because, as
> bullet, this is a term all
> will understand what is meant with ( I suppose).

I, for one, don't understand and never have heard this
word before.

> Still if anyone thinks differently I am open for
> ops!

This is mine...

Ossama