Re: More on KDE's Status

--- Mohammed Elzubeir <elzubeir at arabeyes dot org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-12-28 at 09:08 -0800, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> > Ah... I don't think this is something we ought to do and most certainly
> > not _now_.  I highly suggest you take this up with 'core' to further
> > clarify the matter.  I know alot has been said and there are raw nerves
> > maybe on both ends and to be completely honest and frank 99.9% of what
> > I read is shear silly and sophomoric at best.
>
> Not quite. There is no 'formal' agreement to begin with. So, I don't see
> why Core should intervene in such an internal subject -- unless Core
> plans to make it a habit of getting involved in the maintainership of
> each project Arabeyes hosts.

Formal or otherwise - its an agreement nonetheless that needs to be honored.
I agree with you that 'core' should _not_ get involved, but if Arabeyes'
reputation is on the line and the conflict seems to been inflated to where
logic seems to have taken a back-seat and people are simply reacting; I
think 'core' needs to at a min to lend a hand (fence mending and realignment
of focus vs. strict micro-management -- I'm advocating the former when
needed).

> > I think we are all in this "boat" and this was noted many times before.
> > Having an established agreement with a said entity does preclude one
> > from simply changing their mind midstream - again, we are a professional
> > group who would like to uphold professional conduct.  If there is a
> > change of heart then this topic needs to be brought-up in the context
> > of a defined deadline (ie. "the policy will change starting with 3.3
> > release" or similar) to have a rational open debate about the topic.
>
> You are right. I think it would fair to say, once this whole KACST thing
> is done with (whenever that is -- I am guessing within a week or so),
> that would be it. See? I am open to suggestions ;) However, I am
> strongly against having Core get involved in how I run the KDE project.

We need consistency - if you opt to do something with KDE in a certain
manner and someone else opts to do something different with project X
then what's Arabeyes' role and its "container" concept (see what I mean).
We need to have a prevailing policy that will fit everyone's needs that
is logical and fair to all those involved (keep in mind that reasonable
calculated progress is paramount).