Re: PROPOSAL: QAC another take

Salam.

To keep things concise, the parts of Arafat's email I did not comment
on are (mostly) the parts I agree with :-)

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 20:22:43 +0100, Arafat Medini <arafato at gmail dot com> wrote:
[...]
> To Abdulaziz's mail,
>
> >You did not mention here how much time and effort it was taking from
> >us.
>
> I don't understand the point here. Quality work needs time.

Of course. It needs lots of time, when you have many people involved
who have some form of leadership. When you only have 3 people who
don't have a quickly cobbled together semi-plan, it takes more than
"time". It takes near forever...

[...]
> I am not against any sort of regulating the work, that's not my stuff
> and to be honest it does not interest me at all. This said, what I
> want is work done, words "produced" and people wanting to work. As
> long as those ppl are there we'll have output. I am saying this from
> my experience with you with Ayman and with many other ppl. No
> mechanism can make ppl work or not eg. Ahmad (the KDE man), Chronos
> and ALL the other 600 ppl... (or 300?)
> So for me :" wanna regulate go regulate I wish you every success" but
> I say to myself:" I want work, flow and something done NOW".

We can try to regulate sure, but we won't get anywhere if the
coordinator of Gnome's Arabization doesn't put in an effort with the
rest of us. I will tell you my priorities right now. At the moment I
think putting together a healthy, functioning and _permanent_ Quality
Assurance Committee is far more important than polishing Gnome's POs
or creating and agreeing upon new words. This here is a matter of
foundation.

[...]
> Still If you're not happy with the work done then it seems that you're
> not happy with your own work, well I can't make your work look good
> for you, can I ?

I rarely am happy with my own work to be honest, but that's irrelevant here :-)

> > (and I don't mean everyone who _wants_ to be involved, I mean
> everyone period :-)
>
> I don't agree with you here, I think we have to have a group of
> dedicated ppl who do work, and that work has to be accepted.
> Running behind everyone so that our work gets done or accepted led us
> to the situation we are in today...

Good point. I don't want to be chasing people who don't have the time
of day either. But picture this: your an extremely dedicated person,
and I'm an extremely dedicated person, and we disagreed on some
technical issue. How do we decide? Do we "discuss" it on IRC and the
doc list from here until Nuclear Winter, or do we go to an authority
committee dedicated to solving these kinds of issues?

[...]
> I think Nadims proposal is maybe the way to go, your closing idea are
> also good. but what I want to see is work. Let us even all shift to
> KDE and start there no problem for me! I am sick of discussions I want
> WORK O_o

I shall summarize both my vision and yours. I would like to see how
others will chime in/comment/lose their shirts :-)

Arafat: It is time to stop arguing, and time to get to WORK. Let us
break the lead out, stop bickering and get things DONE.

Abdulaziz: Work can wait. Its high time we create a clear methodology
that will define how will be doing Arabization work for the next 10
years. I believe the initial investment will cost us, but the eventual
increase in efficiency will be worth it.

Was my summary accurate? :-)

Abdulaziz,