Re: QAC Revival

--- Mohammed Elzubeir <elzubeir at arabeyes dot org> wrote:
> It is no secret that since the inception of QAC, very little has been
> achieved. If any, what has been achieved has been a topic of controversy
> (harakt on translations, etc.).

It doesn't sound like "very little was achieved" when I read Arafat's
comments.  It could be that Arafat/Abdo/Ayman have just kept to
themselves and haven't publicized their rules just yet (or could it
be that the focus was more Gnome-centric; doubt it).  I believe the
lessons and rules agreed-upon for Gnome can be a solid foundation for
what to build on within QAC.

> What I would like to propose is scrapping the entire QAC and starting
> from scratch. I am here proposing that a new requirement for translation
> project maintainers be added. To be a part of QAC. A president would be
> internally voted on. Anyone who wishes to join the QAC would have to be
> approved by the appointed members (who are made up of the translation
> projects maintainers).
>
> In addition to that, a core member must be present in a secretary
> capacity. If a core member is already a member of QAC (due to
> maintainership of a translation project) then that core member acts in
> that capacity. If not, Core would appoint one via a Core vote. If more
> than one core member are maintaining translation projects, it is also
> decided within core.
>
> QAC is to meet once every 2 weeks and this is to be tasked on the
> residing core member to ensure periodic meetings, minutes and agendas
> are set. This does not mean thtat the core member must do the
> minutes/agendas, as these tasks can be delegated.. however, it is the
> responsibility of the residing core member to ensure it is done.

Sounds like you are trying to put in place a mechanism to ensure that
meetings will take place and there is ultimately a few people in-charge
that can be probed for status, documents, etc - right ?  Arafat, don't
view this as bureaucracy (it isn't) - think of it as a means to get
organized as more and more people join-in (lack of order as you saw in
early QAC days almost killed it).

I'm not involved in QAC, I just wanted to make clear that what is noted
above and what Arafat is saying are somewhat orthogonal.  M.Elzubeir is
trying to streamline a process (meetings, agendas, responsibilities) where
as Arafat is more eager to get the current findings and results adopted
by utilizing the work they have done on quality checking the Gnome
translations.  The intersection for both points above is the need to put
together some documents and to garner some buy-in from other translators.
Quality is in the eye of the beholder and so we need to get as many people
that are translating to review and comment on such docs ASAP.

Sorry to interject where I'm surely not needed :-)