Generating "test" POs for testing purposes

Salam,

As I recently upgraded to GNOME 2.6 and was finally able to see an
Arabic desktop in action, right away I began to catch some spelling
mistakes and other stuff that could be improved. But thats not what I
want to talk about...

What I want to talk about is a way to quickly find where a mispelling
originated from. When I see something wrong in some menu I have no easy
way of knowing exactly which string of which PO contains the mistake.
It would be good if we had "testing" POs, where all strings carry
unique identifiers.

This identifier doesnt have to be complicated. Just the po file's name
followed by the string number would be sufficient.

So, for example in the file xyz.po you might have the following as the
14th string:

msgid "hello"

msgstr "مرحبا - xyz_14"

This benefits us in that it helps us catch errors continuously even
when we are not doing QA on a given project, AND, more importantly, it
enables general users to help us if they want to (they will have to use
the test POs). They find an error, and email us saying "hey string x of
file y is not right", we verify and then rectify.

We of course can easily write a script to splatter these unique
identifiers all over a PO after it has been translated, but we
shouldnt, as this is not an Arabic-specific thing and all languages
might use this.

So, do you guys think this is a good idea? If yes I can file a bug
report on the kbabel wishlist, to add a feature to enable the
generation of "tester POs". They would be the best people to handle
this.

Salam,

Abdulaziz,