Server Issues

Salam,

For those of you who have been struggling with CVS lately, I deeply
apologize. We _still_ did not resolve our issues with the new setup.

I think I owe you an explanation as to what has happened. The CVS
repository (along with the mail server and bugzilla) used to run from an
Alpha server running SuSE Linux in Canada, hosted by Anas Nashif.
Unfortunately, Anas was no longer able to host anything on his server. We
had to move.

I will first start off by giving you an idea of how the Arabeyes servers
were distributed:
  1. Alpha (SuSE Linux) - running from Canada
     - cvs repository
     - mail (mailing-lists)
     - bugzilla
  2. x86   (FreeBSD)    - running from UK
     - main mysql db
     - website

I. Mailing lists

The first thing that was moved was the mail server. The main difference
(aside from the obvious architectural and operating system ones) was that
we initially were running Postfix/mailman. Currently we are running
qmail/ezmlm. This has been a drastic change and html archiving has yet to
be setup.

II. bugzilla

This has been the easiest to move. It was done in less than 10 minutes
(save the dns propagation of ip address change).

III. cvs repository

The CVS repository was initially moved without a hitch. Everything was run
smoothly up until one of the system admins on the FreeBSD server decided to
move the cvs pserver out of inetd, and move the cvs repository into a
chroot'ed shell. Those two changes were done because of security concerns.
Unfortunately, they were not very well coordinated.

This has resulted in the CVS repository being moved several times to
different directories. It has also broken the logging script (cvs_log.py),
which is responsible for making sure the log messages go into the mysql db
as well as sending out notifcation messages to the 'cvs' mailing-lists.