Re: GNOME CVS sync

On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 10:01:46AM +0100, Arafat Medini wrote:
> Salam
>
> I took a look at the webpage but there isn't anything that would guide
> on the procedure can you give me an other page please ?

Okay, you asked for it ;) This is how painful this procedure is:

1. Locate PO's and or POT's on the page.
  For example, under 'desktop' here:
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/status/gnome-2.2/ar/desktop/index.html

If you hover the mouse over any of the module links you will see that it is
either a PO or a POT file (eventually you should see less of POT's as our
translation sees more progress)

2. Download all the PO's and POT's (using wget, curl, etc.) on a separate
   directory (From your Arabeyes CVS that is)

3. Now merge the files.. for instance, procman.gnome-2.2.ar.po you do:
  $ msgmerge procman.po procman.gnome-2.2.ar.po -o procman.po

This will result in the prcoman.po being merged with the newer one. Done!

The painful part is not this, but the fact that GNOME is VERY inconsistent.
A long time ago, they used to have application release version numbers
attached to PO files. I remember complaining about this and them promising
to remove it, or that this was historic and they were moving away from it.
Now, on that page, they keep branchnames. So, some files would have
the branchname 'gnome-2.2' and others will have 'HEAD'.. or whatever the
new branchname is. Imagine how messy this is if you are trying to script it.

Isam on the other hand is using their CVS to essentially achieve the same
results. While this avoids the problem of branchnames being attached to PO's,
it is very wasteful of storage and bandwidth (since you will end up having
to checkout the _entire_ GNOME cvs tree, including source code, etc.). You
also don't know what GNOME is considering obsolete, important, etc. The
web page cited above gives you a very good idea of what direction you
want to take the translation project. It is also daily sync'ed with the
GNOME cvs, so it is up-to-date.

I hope that's helpful.
---
Was I helpful? Let others know: