Re: TODO draft for round-2 "Wordlist"

On Thursday 14 August 2003 8:00 pm, Ossama Khayat wrote:
> Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> [...]
>
> > My final remark on this topic is if the word is used and is understood by
> > a number of people - it ought to be there (irrespective of what's in the
> > online dictionaries -- do also keep in mind that there are different
> > kinds of dictionaries (general, financial, medical, etc)).  In my
> > collection of these words, I tried to use the largest number of open
> > source wordlists that I could find and that ran the gamit in terms of
> > subjects (medical, financial, socio-econmic, educational, etc).  The fact
> > that these words are used, tells me its OK for us to include them (we are
> > NOT making them up after all :-)
>
> This is my point too. The idea isn't that we're creating _another_
> dictionary for people to use. It's something that could help _any_ one find
> a helpful translation and benefit from.

This is theory... Ok now let's apply it in our practical situation.
I think marketwise is wrong. I want to help by removing bad words. I searched
onelook.com and my own scientific dictionaries and couldn't find the word. I
am not living in an English country and like Ahmed is not the person to say
whether it's in common use or not. Two solutions here: To search google and
in case I find it there I won't delete it and as a consequence of this I
swear I will not remove but very few words. Most of these words will remain
untranslated. Of course I don't like Nadim to abandon developing for the sake
of translation because his English is good.

The other solution which may be better is to give me another project (I think
it's time for me now to switch to KDE to translate some of the apps there).
and I am sure you can manage this situation and may be some English people in
the list can help here. I wonder why can't I hear a native speaker voice
here!!

> > You guys are leading this - so whatever you gents decide is good enough
> > for me; I'm just putting forth my humble opinion.
> >
> > I'm done with this topic :-)
Not yet ;) Nadim, I am sorry to say it but I find myself useless now because
you see for yourself most of the words I added to bad words is valid as you
say. I want to make something useful not waste my time and yours in swapping
words. Please, comment.

> Well, I could be the least English knowledgeable (a valid English word from
> onelook.com :)), and I'm only a high school graduate, and didn't have the
> chance to continue my studies at the university (Alhamdo'Lillah), but still
> I believe this project should be as broad as possible.
You are way better than lots of graduated students. Really!

> I'm done too :)
me too ;)

> regards,
> Ossama Khayat