Re: [mutlaqja (at) ku dot edu: Re: Some translation]

Hi Jasem,

Greetings,

Oh great ;) On our cvs repository there is an ar.po which should help as a
basis for translation. It's under translate/misc/ar.po

oh okay, I'm done with the translation, KBabel is really a nice tool, there are only a couple of menu items that were not translated. I will contact the developer to see if they are listed in kstars.pot in the first place.

I have few questions :-)

1) How do you create the initial .pot file for an application? I know you can edit the .pot using KBabel, but how do you create .pot in the first place?

you use the xgettext program like this:
xgettext file1.c file2.cc file3.h && mv messages.po your_application.pot

2) When I "compile" a file in KBabel, it gives it an extension of .gmo, but when I checked the files under /opt/kde3/share/locale/ar, I found them all with an extension .mo, what's the difference? I got KStars to work in arabic by simply changing the extension to .mo, but is that all?

You just rename .gmo files to .mo
.gmo files are created by the program msgfmt.

3) now I have a translation for KStars called kstars_ar.po, if KStars.pot was changed, do I have to translate the whole thing again or is there a way to merge kstars.pot and kstars_ar.po to translate only the new things that have been added?

There's a program msgmerge which do what you want. You can invoke like this:
msgmerge --output-file=new_kstars.po kstars_ar.po KStars.pot
and rename new_kstars.po to kstars_ar.po

Regards,
Hicham