From: Jasem Mutlaq <mutlaqja at kui dot edu>
To: Mohammed Elzubeir <elzubeir (at) arabeyes dot org>
Subject: Re: Some translation
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 18:07:29 -0700

Greetings,

> Oh great ;) On our cvs repository there is an ar.po which should help as a
> basis for translation. It's under translate/misc/ar.po

oh okay, I'm done with the translation, KBabel is really a nice tool, there
are only a couple of menu items that were not translated. I will contact the
developer to see if they are listed in kstars.pot in the first place.

I have few questions :-)

1) How do you create the initial .pot file for an application? I know you can
edit the .pot using KBabel, but how do you create .pot in the first place?

2) When I "compile" a file in KBabel, it gives it an extension of .gmo, but
when I checked the files under /opt/kde3/share/locale/ar, I found them all
with an extension .mo, what's the difference? I got KStars to work in arabic
by simply changing the extension to .mo, but is that all?

3) now I have a translation for KStars called kstars_ar.po, if KStars.pot was
changed, do I have to translate the whole thing again or is there a way to
merge kstars.pot and kstars_ar.po to translate only the new things that have
been added?

> Your work is very much appreciated. If you would like I can create you a
> cvs account on our servers so you can commit changes on arabeyes.org. I
> believe kstars.pot is on translate/kde/kdeedu/kstars.pot

That would be great! the GUI is being constantly updated and CVS would be
quiet convieniet.

Take care!

Regards,
Jasem.