Re: CVS: translate/kde/kdebase ksplash.po

Hi,
First I don't care about trade marks and stuff like that, but the project have to because we are forced to adjust to some dominating rules in our world. Until they change we have to follow them! I am not sure about wither Arabization have any impact on the trademarked name or not.

I don't like Arabic transcription of Latin words, well I don't like transcription very much (thanks to my English teachers in the the secondary school). But it's very powerful many time, and have to be used. Transcription in this case would be "KeeDhee" with Arabic letters (in fact the transcription will be different from person to person and from language to language ...
In some cases a transliteration is more preferred, and I tend to like it more. In this case it's the three letters KDE with Arabic letters. Not the pronunciation of the three letters (i.e. not kae dee ee, which result in many letters. The question here is should those Arabic letters be connected?

In my opinion: Acronyms should be transliterated with non-connected Arabic letters. Names are transliterated, using a convention so we don't end up with many transliterations of the same word and make the user banging her/his head against the wall. Avoiding the M$-style is almost what I said here.

Anyway, a couple of years ago when we tried to translate Debian home page I had the following rule: "When comes to names, we put the Latin name in citation-marks the first time the name appears in the document and spell it with Arabic letters as close as possible to the native language pronunciation it originate from."
Will this applies more to translating long text and not string, as in our case we KDE3.

Would suggest: K D E with three Arabic letters, at least for string translation and not for complete document translation.
--
Jihad Daoud
When you are there, you are definitely not here. If you are not I, and I happened to be here!