Re: Unicode or UTF-8 ??

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 01:53:31PM +0200, Isam Bayazidi wrote:

> As I know .. the UTF-8 is a optimized Unicode .. the UTF-8 uses 8-bit
> encoding just like ASCII .. It is used in making a source code that uses
> international characters , because most lexical analyzers deal with ACSII
> code  ...
>
> Anyway using UTF-8 makes more sense ..

Right. I was under the impression that we are to avoid utf-8, but I was wrong.
As Thomas pointed out (the KDE i18n coordinator), he wasn't able to parse
through our files, because of the format.

Also, now that you mention lexical analyzers, cvs is the same way. It does not
recognize the character encoding in our files, and so treats it as binaries.
Which makes diffs almost useless. With utf-8, that problem is resolved.

later
| Mohammed Elzubeir                    | http://www.fakkir.net/           |
| Tech Support                         | http://www.arabeyes.org/         |
| College of Business Computing Center | Homepage:                        |
| University of North Texas            | http://www.fakkir.net/~elzubeir/ |