Arabic

Am Mittwoch, 22. August 2001 10:56 schrieb Hans Petter Bieker:

> > While I have your attention: There is now a Arabic team being
> > formed for KDE 3.0. If they send in their kdelibs.po and create
> > their entry.desktop files: should the abbreviation be "ara" already
> > or still "ar"?
>
> I guess coolo would have to answer this. Is kde-i18n branched now? If
> not, it should still be ar I guess. If not, I guess they could move
> to ara (if that's the ISO 639-2/T code).

For Arabic there's no difference between ISO 639-2/B and ISO 639-2/T.
It's ara for both. (But from what you say I presume we are going with
ISO 639-2/T for all cases where the letters are different, ie the new
code for German would be deu, not ger.)

> > And what region should they enter in the entry.desktop files?
> > Exclusively asia/africa or could they use "middleeast" if they
> > prefer?
>
> How many countries do we have in that region at the moment?
>
> AFAIK, the countries in Middle East is
> (http://www.find-our-community.net/region/Middle_East/map.htm):
> Bahrain
> Kuwait
> Cyprus
> Lebanon
> Iran
> Oman
> Iraq
> Qatar
> Israel
> Saudi Arabia
> Syria
> UAE (United Arabic Emerates?)
> Jordan
> Yemen
>
> ... and currently we have only got Israel... Maybe we should get a
> few more countries before we add a new group? And if I use
> http://www.sitesatlas.com/, we could also add Turkey.

I guess the Turks will take this as an offence. They are very keen on
being Europeans, same apparently with the Aserbaijan. OTOH, the Kurdish
coordinator would probably prefer to go for Middle East (but Kurdistan
is not a country anyway). Best will be to let the teams decide where
they think they belong to and their users will look for them.

As for the Arabic team I have not talked about this with their
coordinator yet (CCed therefore). So maybe this is a non-problem.
I just wanted to know if can have a new region Middle East if there are
-- say -- at least 4 or 5 countries who would prefer to be sorted that
way instead of being put into "africa" or "asia". Better than having to
re-edit those entry.desktop files over and over again for a dozen or
more countries.

Regards,

Thomas
--