Re: [developers] File with list of cities, latitude and longitude.

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 10:36:03AM +0000, A.Haq Abbad wrote:
>  Salam,
>  Does anyboy know where I can get a file (csv, xml or plain), that
>  contains all of the cities in the world (loyaltiy free),
>  and their latitude, longitude and possibly (Not important) GMT offset
>  and Day light savings.
>  I need this for my prayer time app in Qt (for Nokia N900, Sybmian S60
>  v5 series and possibly KDE).
>  Early code of the app:
>  [1]http://sourceforge.net/projects/munadi/
>  Previously, I used Google's geo coding and IP to location webservice to
>  auto detect location, but IPtolocation.com started charging for the
>  service :D.
>  Google's geocoding is still an option, but the user has to type the
>  address and needs live internet connection, which is not always
>  available. The good thing aboout it however, is that you can type the
>  address in any language, including arabic, and you get the
>  corrosponding lat and long.
>  Wassalam.

Why do you need such a database for the N900 ?
The N900 has a GPS and you can always use liblocation to obtain your current
location.

I guess minbar has a datafile. No idea how accurate it is.

Cheers,

--
GPG-Key: 0xA3FD0DF7 - 9F73 032E EAC9 F7AD 951F  280E CB66 8E29 A3FD 0DF7
Debian User and Developer.