Re: [developers] HTMLDOC No Arabic Support

On Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 05:13:52PM +0300, sattam alotaibi wrote:
> asslamu alaikum
>
> iam came here to inform you about ' htmldoc '  its amazing tool to convert HTML
> to PDF , and its powerful
>
> i use it to convert many HTML pages  in one click :)  , please check  this
> sample : http://i1u2.info/pup/doc/EN/Serial-HOWTO/Serial-HOWTO.pdf
>
> BUT ;  i get BIG problem when i try to convert Arabic pages , i get unreadable
> PDF files , :(

As per http://www.htmldoc.org/articles.php?L28+T+P0+Q, HTMLDOC doesn't
support unicode properly, even with unicode support in 1.9.x it won't
handle bi-directionality and Arabic text shaping (for PDF, if you use it
to generate html files it should work, but I don't use it to confirm
this).
Adding proper Arabic support in PDF backends is not trivial, so you
better try another tool.

Regards,

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Arabic localizer and member of Arabeyes.org team