[developers] [Fwd: Re: [Stellarium-pubdevel] [Stellarium] BiDi support]

--- Begin Message ---
Hi Usama,
Yes this problem is a known bug. The rendering of text in the sky is
performed using home-made code (using SFont class), not using Qt
features.
I already attempted to replace this code with native qt display but I
had problems so far:
1- You cannot specify a non integer position to draw text on the
QGraphicsView using Qt, so the text looks like it jumps from pixel to
pixel which is quite ugly.
2- It is quite slow

I more or less have an idea (given by a Qt developer) how to redo
that, but it's not trivial, so I doubt it will be done before the next
release 0.10.0 which is approaching quickly. That said, it will be
done at some point, so you don't waist your time translating into
Arabic.

There is also not too much point trying to hack the current SFont
code, because Arabic is more complicated than just reversing the text,
and also because the current system don't support very nicely Chinese
and other characters.

If you can code and is interested to work on that, I can give you
detailed hints.

Cheers,
Fabien