Re: [SPONSORING] acon_1.0.5-3 (fwd)

as-salamu alaykom,

  Mohammed Sameer, remember when you once asked why the previous sponsor
  for acon preferred 'install -m 4755' over using statoverride ? Here's
  an old email I found in my inbox that shows his point of view.
--- Begin Message ---
Ahmed El-Mahmoudy wrote:
> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/a/acon/acon_1.0.5-3.dsc

uploaded.

> Also I need to consult you in a matter: someone sent me an email
> telling me that instead of doing install -m 4755 in the Makefile (or
> debian/rules), that I would better do chmod 4755 in the postinst file,
> when I think of it, that solution would not require me to have a
> lintian override. What do you think ?

from the maintainers point of view, it is *technicallly* simpler to
chmod it 4755 in postinst.

i *personally*, although it is of no practical difference in real world,
find it more elgant to have it suid inside the package, because
'everything you can do at build time of the package is saved time for
the users when installing the package.

Email:          daniel dot baumann at panthera-systems dot net

--- End Message ---