RE : Re: RE : 4. libquran configuration and compilation errors + patch RE: libq uran concerns (nabil ben khalifa) (Moham med Adnčne Trojette) (nabil ben khalifa)

Message: 4
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 17:44:42 +0200 (CEST)
From: nabil ben khalifa < nabil_benkhalifa at yahoo dot fr>
Subject: RE : Re: RE : 4. libquran configuration and compilation
        errors + patch RE: libquran concerns (nabil ben khalifa) (Mohammed
        Adnčne Trojette)
To: Development Discussions <developer at arabeyes dot org>

Assalamo alaykom,

--- "A.Haq Abbad" <haqman at gmail dot com> a écrit :

> Salam
> Thanks for the fix, but testing on debian, there is
> a problem.
> first, when I compile "testquran.c" it looks for
> "quran.h" in "/usr/include"
> however, its not there, it sais "<quran.h>" missing.
> its placed in "usr/local/inlcude" the same goes for
> the lib it self! but why
> is that?

The /usr/local is the default location of the libquran
includes (/usr/local/include) and library
(/usr/local/lib). To override this and make that the
libquran includes be /usr/include and library be
/usr/lib you can instruct the configure to do so, i.e
before compiling (the make command), you issue the
command "configure --prefix=/usr" .

Is there a reason to be under usr/local/include, if not, I think it needs to be corrected, as testquran expects it to be there!
I'll try the prefix thing and i'll let you know :), even though this shall be done automatically :)

> also, after getting "testquran" to compile and run,
> there is a problem:
> "Error initializing libquran, code -5" i do have
> package installed! "sound,
> receiter".
>
> i'll keep playing round with it.
>
> wassalam

I think you have touched here one of the weaknesses of
the quran app I have noticed, which is error handling
and lack of giving back to the user explicit error
messages.

To fix this, I think you need to go through all error 5 areas and change it to a custom message!
This requires time, or think of another way to handle error messages!

As for me, I tried to go through it all, to see where the error message hits. The thing is, the debugger crashes at function "getuid()" in initializing!
i.e. I cannot continue with debugging, it keeps saying "function unreachable" and/or "no debugging info found/applied" and such a thing! Totally lost there :D.

The error you get is related either to the
configuration file, the data directory setting or the
installed languages, but without patching the
testquran  app to have a more explicit error I can't
say more. I will try to make this patch if you are
interested.

If you have the time, that would be good for everyone!
As for the patches you generated so far, are they in the CVS yet? if not, they need to be upthere for new comers,
and the explenation on the INSTALL file, on how to get around some issues.

Wassalam 3alaikum.

Nabil Ben Khalifa

new file might look like this:
file INSTALL:
INSTALLATION STEPS:

------------------
Compiling libquran
------------------

./configure
make
su -c 'make install'

-------------------
Compiling libqruan CVS
-------------------

If downloaded from CVS:

make -f Makefile.cvs
./configure
make
su -c 'make install'

If it complains about "./ltmain.sh' not found"

try "libtoolize --force" before "make -f Makefile.cvs"

for ubuntu users:

"sudo make install" instead of "su -c make install"

you might need to "configure --prefix=/usr"