Re: New Project Proposal: The ArabicOpenCD

Bashar,

Thanks for very much your very insighful ideas, they are appreciated.
Apologies if I my response was not speedy.

Why not having the installation files on the CD? as you mentioned most arab
world users are on low speed internet connectivity, so its better to provide
them with most wanted sources such as firefox,thunderbird and openoffice to
name few

The current CD is already ~ 670 MBs, nearly a full CD, and sources take up more space than binaries, so I opted to remove them.

In a future version, I would probably write an advanced "about
project" dialog where there would be a direct link to sources...

Make the Main interface with suggestion tool/menu that the user can click
what type of softwares he uses most and have its source on the CD and from
the users contributions we can add the sources to a folder called source for
example and each person who want to burn the CD can add whatever he thinks
his community/friends/family uses to include them for them, of course small
development from your side to check the source directory and if it doesn't
find the installation file it goes to the internet and download it

Very good idea. I will see how I can incorporate it into next version.

i downloaded and tried to install any software for test and got an error[1]
this error shows for all not only firefox

That error can be easiy fixed. Keep in mind that the test that I gave does not contain the programs for obvious reasons (space), the final iso will have the packages.

could possible ad Daifallah's Camel server[2] which is personal web server
people can run , would be nice addon made by arabic person

I will certainly investigate this software in the next version. Adding software made by arab users is top priority.

Having centralized web page for companies/shops who want to start selling
this to list them in small directory for each country[3] something similar
to theopencd.org

Now this is the golden idea. I think it needs implementation for this version. Later in the day I will send you an email with details and more ideas on this front, so please hang on.

thats my thoughts for now and the moment the error get fixed i'll burn it
and have it ready for people in kuwait whom want a copy can visit our
office[4] and buy one[5]

Your enthusiasm is very encouraging. I'll give you a link as soon as I get everything working together and upload it somewhere.

I really appreciate your interest, I hope something fruitful will come
out of this.

Djihed