Re: Kubuntu, Arabic Edition

Wa 3alaikum el-salam Abo Shihab,

Thanks for ur e-mail.

The idea of Ubuntu/Kubuntu, Arabic Edition is better described in http://iraqilinux.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=837&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

As for ur question why Kubuntu and not Ubuntu: Mainly because I (and many other people including Torvald himself) find KDE better than Gnome.

But I found Gnome is having a more complete translation, so I built an Arabic Edition of Ubuntu too.

As for Edgy, I donno, never had the chance to download it, especially it has a bad reputation in term of reliability and I mainly work in server side linux.

Ahmed El-Mahmoudy <aelmahmoudy at users dot sourceforge dot net> wrote:
> Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 07:57:29 -0800 (PST)
> From: Ahmed Al-Obaidy
> Subject: Kubuntu, Arabic Edition
> To: developer at arabeyes dot org, doc at arabeyes dot org
>
> Dear Friends,
> Al-salam alaikum,
>
> I have built a customized version of Kubuntu 6.06 with Arabic packages
> pre-installed and Arabic is the default language.
>
> The target is to build a Kubuntu-based distro focusing on Arabic Language.
> I suggest to be named "Kubuntu, Arabic Edition".
>
> You can find a few screenshots here:
> http://iraqilinux.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=832
>
> The Arabic support in Linux needs a lot of work in term of translation,
> fonts, documentation and artwork. Startup GUI needs some work to get
> arabic text to be rendered well.
>
> This is only 1 hr work, and is not perfect by any mean. I suggest we build
> a team and to start a independent site for this project.
>
> Regards,
> Ahmad Al-Obaidy

as-salamu alaykom,

jazak Allahu khairan, I was wondering if anyone has a fix for the acon
package in Edgy. The problem is that cp-1256 keymap does not work,
although if I recall correctly, it did work in Dapper (acon package
wasn't in their repos in Dapper, but I used to have a self-built
package while using Dapper).

Btw, why Kubuntu & not Ubuntu ?